Home > News
- Dravid group paper receives ACS Nano cover
The paper is titled "High Throughput Synthesis of Multifunctional Oxide Nanostructures within Nanoreactors Defined by Beam Pen Lithography" and was a collaboration between the Dravid and Mirkin groups.
- Qingyuan receives SPIE scholarship
Qingyuan was awarded a 2017 Optics and Photonics Education Scholarship by SPIE.
- Xiaomi passes her Qualifying Exam
Congratulations to Xiaomi for passing her Qualifying Exam!
- Vikas presents at 2017 ACS Spring Meeting
Vikas recently attended the ACS Spring meeting held in San Francisco and gave 1 oral and two poster presentations.
- VPD Group Member Jann Grovogui accepted to attend Nanotechnology and Policy SOtL Program
As part of the Science Outside the Laboratory Program, Jann will have an all expense paid trip to Washington, DC to meet with lawmakers and other people of influence regarding nanotechnology policy and legislation.
- Professor Dravid reviews energy research with Dr. Eric Toberer
Professor Dravid discusses thermoelectric materials and other energy policies with young Colorado School of Mines faculty, Eric Toberer.
- Vikas' image selected to be displayed in ABRF Meeting
Vikas' image of a magnetic nanoflower was displayed as one of the cool and exciting images at the 2017 ABRF Annual Meeting in San Diego.
- Professor Dravid meets Jeff's newborn son, Liam Cain
Professor Dravid meets with Jeff, Kelcie, and Liam for the first time.
- VPD and Fernando Attend ICARBM and IUSSTF
Professor Dravid and Fernando attend the Advanced Rechargeable Batteries & allied Materials (ICARBM) Conference and the Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF)
- Vikas publishes paper in Chemistry of Materials
Vikas has recently published a new paper "High-Density Lipoprotein-like Magnetic Nanostructures (HDL-MNS): Theranostic Agents for Cardiovascular Disease" in Chemistry of Materials
- Vikas presents the CAPS webinar
Vikas was selected and presented a 45 minute webinar on Magnetic Nanostrucutres as part of the Northwestern Cancer Center's Chemistry and Physical Sciences (CAPS) program
- Dr. Byungha Shin gives talk at NU
Dr. Byungha Shin gives a Dravid Group special research talk on "Emerging Materials for PV and LED: CZTS and Hybrid Perovskites"
- 2D subgroup welcomes its newest member, William "Liam" Cain!
Congratulations to Jeff and Kelcie Cain on their handsome, happy new addition!
- VPD Group Student visits University of Texas-San Antonio
Fernando visited the Yacamán Group at the University of Texas at San Antonio to gain more experience with aberration-corrected Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM)
- Jingshan and Cesar win Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program (HMCP) Fellowship
This fellowship will cover tuition, travel funds, and a portion of their stipends.
- Good Luck Heguang!
Visiting scholar Heguang's stay at NU comes to an end
- VPD Group Adds 3 New Graduate Students
We are pleased to add Kelly Parker, Will Kellogg, and Songting Cai
- Dr. Larry Drummy gives talk at NU
As part of the Frontiers in Nanotechnology Seminar Series, Dr. Drummy presented on “Tomographic and In-situ characterization of soft matter”
- VPD Group Picnic on October 7th
Come for food, games, and music!
- Evan wins Meister Summer Research Award
The award allowed him to complete a summer research project titled: Magnetic Nanostructure-Hydrogel Composites for 3D Printing Applications
- Jeff Cain Visits Sandia National Laboratory
He had the opportunity to work as a visiting scientist with Dr. Stan Chou
- Jeff Cain Wins Outstanding Researcher Award from IIN
The award recognizes graduate students and postdoctoral associates for exceptional contributions to the nanotechnology field
- Jeff Cain Wins Terminal Year Fellowship
The fellowship will cover the remainder of his PhD tenure
- David wins 2nd prize in the ASM International Undergraduate Materials Design Competition
The competition is based on the submission of design-focused project reports that describe work that was performed as part of the capstone course or as a team project by undergraduate engineering students
- Dr. Kai He gives invited talk at ACS National Meeting
The talk was titled "Probing sodium insertion mechanism in graphene oxides by in situ TEM"
- Energy Subgroup publishes in ACS Nano
The paper discusses the reactions of sodium (and lithium) with Se-nanotube in an effort to develop high capacity sodium-ion batteries for energy storage
- Welcome 2016 Mat Sci new graduate students! VPD Group has 4 open positions
Click here for the details on available positions
- VPD group hosts 3 REU students
As part of the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, 3 undergraduate students had the opportunity to work alongside VPD group members
- Strong VPD Group Showing at 2016 Microscopy and Microanalysis Conference
Several members of the VPD group and NUANCE, including Professor Dravid himself, shared their research through several poster and oral presentations at this year’s Microscopy and Microanalysis conference in Colombus, Ohio
- Vikas wins the Katten Muchin Rosenman Award
The award was given for his presentation at the 8th Annual Lurie Cancer Center Symposium
- 2D Subgroup publishes review article in COSSMS
The article is titled "Emerging opportunities in the two-dimensional chalcogenide systems and architecture"
- Scientists develop "Ultimate Discovery Tool"
The tool offers the ability to rapidly test millions of different nanoparticles rapidly in order to determine the best particle for a particular application
- Vikas' image is selected as one of the top 12 images by National Nanotechnology Initiative
The images will be up for voting from June 6th to June 17th in the nationwide image contest
- Vikas Nandwana publishes paper in ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces
The paper is titled "Engineered Theranostic Magnetic Nanostructures: Role of Composition and Surface Coating on Magnetic Resonance Imaging Contrast and Thermal Activation"
- Dravid Group begins new 3D Printing Project
The printer will be used to print hydrogel and MNS nanocomposites
- Jeff Cain publishes paper in ACS Nano
The paper is titled "Growth Mechanism of Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Monolayers: The Role of Self-Seeding Fullerene Nuclei"
- Fernando attends MRS conference and ASU Microscopy Workshop
The MRS conference gave him an opportunity to give a poster presentation on his work
- Jann Grovogui Awarded Federal Funding through NSF GRFP Fellowship
This funding will help him research thermoelectric materials for waste heat energy capture and conversion
- Fernando Receives Travel Grant for MRS
The HMCP travel grant will allow him to present his work on "Li-Ion Conversion Reaction Battery Anodes with Metal-Metal Oxide Multilayer Architecture"
- Fernando gives talk as part of Graduate Student Speaker Series
The VPD group member spoke to students, teachers, and administrators at Vernon Hills High School
- VPD openings for undergraduates
VPD Group has open positions for undergrads. Click here for the details
- Vikas and Xin Awarded Postdoc Professional Development Travel Award
The two VPD group members received awards to assist in traveling to conferences, seminars, and meetings
- Samsung GRO funding awarded
Jinsong Wu, Vinayak Dravid and others awarded funding for exploration of novel metal fluoride electrodes for high capacity lithium-ion batteries
- ISEN research project “Probing battery electrochemistry in situ at atomic scale”
Jinsong Wu, Vinayak Dravid, Mark Hersam and Dr. Jeffrey Elam granted ISEN research project
- Vikas featured on Helix Magazine
HELIX magazine recently published an article featuring Vikas' image of magnetic nanostructures
- Vikas awarded Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship
Vikas received Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship for the 2015 MRS Fall meeting in Boston
- Ryan Fellowship Quarterly Meeting
Jeff presented his research at the Ryan Fellowship Quarterly Meeting
- Materials Research Society- Fall Meeting 2015
Three Dravid group members presented their research at the 2015 Fall MRS meeting
- VPD Graduate Student Awarded HMCP Fellowship
Xiaomi awarded Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program Graduate Fellowship
- Vikas received an honorable mention at a scientific image exhibition
Vikas' image selected as one of the top 12 images at NU
- VPD-NUANCE annual picnic!
VPD Group & NUANCE Members celebrated annual picnic
- Vikas presented the first CAPS webinar of year 2015-2016
VPD member presented in a video conference presentation
- Eve and Qingyuan Received HMCP Conference Funds
VPD members received travel funds
- VPD alumnus Dan making good progress in Boeing
VPD alumnus in Boeing
- VPD alumnus Felix having a blast in his MD-PhD program
Great news from VPD alumnus Felix in NYC Mt. Sinai.
- Welcome 2015 Mat Sci new students! VPD Group has 4 open positions. Click here for the details
4 VPD openings for 2015 new graduate students
- Eve Visits NIMS in Tsukuba, Japan
VPD group member visits Japan
- Vikas' poster selected in NUPF Symposium
VPD group member will present in the Third Annual NUPF Symposium
- MRS abstracts accepted for oral presentation
Three VPD group members are going to present on 2015 MRS Fall Meeting
- Vikaś's image selected as top ten images of Northwestern
VPD group member won Scientific Images Contest 2015
- Shaleen Vasavada has been accepted to the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
Former VPD Group Member Accepted to Medical School
- Jeff and Qingyuan awarded Ryan Fellowship
VPD members named Ryan Fellows due to their exceptional promise as scholars
- New Publication from VPD Group
Qingyuan's first author paper published on NanoLetters
- Welcome our visitor from NTU!
VPD group meets Prof. Sierin Lim of NTU
- Qingyuan Lin received Fellowship in Leadership
VPD member awarded Fellowship in Leadership at Northwestern
- VPD undergrad received Meister Award
David Chae is the recipient of the Meister Award of 2015
- Hitachi HD-2700 STEM imaging at Harvard
VPD members traveled to Harvard to use the Hitachi HD-2700 STEM
- VPD member reveived Honorable Mention for the NSF fellowship
Eve Hanson received an Honorable Mention for the NSF fellowship
- New Opening for Post-Doctoral Research Associate
Opening for Distinguished Post-Doctoral Research Associate in “Scanning Probe Microscopy”
- Fernando started his new year in HRTEM winter school in Arizona
VPD graduate student attend Winter School on High Resolution Electron Microscopy
- VPD group featured on 'India Abroad'
Dravid team's research highlighted on India Abroad
- Farewell Noma!
Tsunenori Nomaguchi to return to Hitachi
- Dravid Lab Researchers Report First Early Stage Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease
Debilitating Disease Set to Affect Millions of Americans Still Lacks Effective Diagnosis or Treatment
- New High Impact Publications from VPD Group
Professor Dravid co-authored in one article recently published on Nature Chemistry
- Fernando Castro Receives Scholarship to ASU EM Workshop
Electron Microscopy Workshop will Enhance Dravid Group Research in Fundamental Materials Studies
- VPD Graduate Students Awarded HMCP Fellowship
Three VPD graduate students awarded Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program Graduate Fellowship
- Welcome VPD new group member!
VPD group member Fengyuan gave birth to her baby
- Welcome Professor Mohammed Aslam!
Professor Mohammed Aslam from IITBombay Currently Visiting VPD group
- Welcome, New VPD Graduate Students!
Two first year Mat Sci students, Ran and Xiaomi, joined VPD group
- New VPD Article Published on High Impact Journal
Our facile synthesis method for high quality ultrathin layers of 2D crystals has been published on ACSNano
- PhD Open Positions: Fall 2014
Openings in Multifunctional Oxides for Nanopatterning & Advanced Microscopy; Unconventional Atomically-Layered 2-D Structures and Architecture; Microscopy of Energy Materials in Batteries & Thermoelectrics; and “Soft Microscopy” for SPM and Microscopy of Nano-Bio-Hybrids.
- Immediate Postdoc Positions Available!
At least two postdoctoral positions are available related to synthesis of nanostructures and their applications to biomedicine. One position is focused on chemical/solution synthesis of nanostructures while the second position aims to explore biomedical applications of nanostructures.
- Microscopy and Microanalysis 2014 in Hartford
Fengyuan Shi presented in Microscopy and Microanalysis 2014 in Hartford, CT
- Happy Birthday Professor Dravid!
VPD Group members celebrate Professor Dravid's birthday
- Former VPD PhD student Bin Liu Proposed to his girlfriend at graduation ceremony
Bin Liu proposed to his girlfriend during the hooding ceremony
- VPD Graduate Students Hooded
Three VPD graduate student get hooded
- VPD Group Meets Professor Shivaprasad of JNCASR
Meetings Foster Collaboration in Transport Phenomena of GaN
- Professor Dravid hosted Special Seminar for Prof. S.M. Shivaprasad
Prof. S.M. Shivaprasad from India visited Northwestern and gave talk at Materials Science & Engineering Department
- Yi-Kai Huang Successfully Defended His Dissertation
Yi-Kai defended his PhD dissertation:"Synthesis, Characterization and Properties of Functional Nanomaterials: Metal Oxides and Layered Materials"
- Professor Dravid gave talk on Elastic Strain Engineering Live Broadcast
Professor Dravid talked about 'Strain Mediated Phenomena in Nanostructured Oxides and Chalcogenides'
- Unveiling of the NU Formula SAE Car
Dan Charles lead the Composites team for NU Formula SAE Car this year
- New Publication from VPD group
Thermoresponsive magnetic hydrogels based on poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) encapsulation of Fe3O4 magnetic nanostructures (MNS).
- Dravid Lab Researchers Again Shatter Thermoelectric Record
Interdisciplinary Team Achieves ZT of 2.6 in New Nature Publication
- Congratulations to Karl Hujsak, 2014 NSF Graduate Fellow
Prestigious fellowship to enable creative solutions in nanoscale imaging
- Karl Hujsak visits collaborators in Basel, Switzerland
Week-long visit will explored new collaborations in the field of biophysics and diagnostics
- Professors Mirkin and Dravid to Head New $55 Million Nano-Medicine Institute
Institute will engender new breakthroughs in hard to treat disorders and diseases
- Protochips Poseidon 500 holder arrives in NUANCE
New Protochips Poseidon 500 in situ electrochemical cell for the Hitachi HT7700 S/TEM installed
- Shih-Han Lo to Join Intel Corp.
Shih-Han Lo has received an offer to join Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR.
- High Impact Publications from VPD Group
Publications from VPD Group came out on high impact journals
- VPD Group member contributes to Nature publication
Eric W. Roth contributes to a recent article in Nature
- VPD Group member begins work with Intel Corporation
Shraddha Avasthy settles in as a Process Engineer
- VPD Group affiliates publish in Scientific Reports
Paper reveals synergic effects of Si and graphene
- Professor Dravid accepts editorial position with materials science journal
Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science focuses on reviews of developing areas
- VPD Group members celebrate their colleagues' success
Shraddha and Chaoyi prepare for the next phase in their career
- Karl Hujsak receives PSOC fellowship
VPD Group member receives fellowship from NU PSOC Center
- Shraddha Avasthy Defends Dissertation
VPD Group Member Successfully Defends Dissertation
- VPD Group - NUANCE 2013 Picnic
Students, staff and family enjoy a nice afternoon
- VPD Group Member Awarded for Outstanding Research
Yi-Kai Huang is a recipient of the 2013 IIN Outstanding Research Award
- VPD Group - NUANCE Annual Picnic scheduled
Annual Picnic scheduled for October 11th
- Bin Liu at Intel
Recent VPD Group PhD transitions into career with Intel Corporation
- VPD Group Research Opportunities Announced
Open Positions for New PhD Graduate Students: Fall 2013
- Happy Birthday Professor Dravid!
VPD Group members celebrate Professor Dravid's birthday
- VPD Group Researcher in Switzerland
Shraddha Avasthy worked with Prof. Mueller at ETH Zurich
- Alzheimer's Research Noted in Scientific American Mind
Professors Dravid and Klein highlighted in August issue
- VPD Group Undergraduate Awarded Fellowship
Conner Dykstra receives Chemistry of Life Processes Institute Summer Scholars Fellowship
- Professor Dravid Speaks at EMSI in Kolkata
Professor Dravid delivered a plenary address to the 34th annual meeting of the Electron Microscope Society of India.
- VPD Undergraduate Interns with Boeing
Daniel Charles begins second internship with Boeing
- Professor Dravid Delivers Keynote Address in Ankara, Turkey
Professor Dravid opened the two-week conference on renewable energy
- VPD Graduate Students Hooded
Aiming Yan and Stan Chou attended the McCormick PhD Hooding Ceremony with Professor Dravid
- VPD Group Undergraduate Completes Senior Project
Alex Freedman's project utilized optical microscopy, AFM and Raman spectroscopy
- VPD Graduate Students Successfully Defend Dissertations
Aiming Yan and Stan Shihyao Chou Celebrate with Family and Colleagues
- VPD Group Member Presents at PSOC-sponsored Symposium
Shraddha Avasthy presents at H Foundation Basic Science Symposium
- VPD Group Member Receives Corbin Scholarship
Felix Richter receives the Corbin Scholarship
- VPD Group Alumnus Awarded
Elizabeth Dickey, PhD, returns to accept award for distinguished career
- NU Undergraduate, Jack Cavanaugh, Selected for MRSEC Summer REU
NU undergraduate, Jack Cavanaugh, was selected for the MRSEC Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
- VPD Group member, Jeff Cain, Receives Federal Funding for Research
VPD doctoral student receives NSF and DoD fellowships
- Professor Dravid visits Hitachi High-Tech in Hitachinaka City, Japan
Professor Dravid visits Hitachi High-Tech in Hitachinaka City, Japan
- Northwestern Students and Scholars participate in 2013 Indo-US Workshop near Bangalore
Professor Vinayak Dravid and other NU faculty presented at JNCASR in India.
- NNIN Director Visits Northwestern
Professor Roger Howe of Stanford University visits Professor Dravid and other NU faculty
- Northwestern Faculty Speak at AFOSR in Washington, D.C.
Professors Dravid and Mirkin delivered talks at AFOSR 2013 Natural Materials, Systems and Extremophiles Program Review
- Professor Dravid Speaks at North Shore Senior Center
Professor Dravid discusses developments in nanotechnology and biomedicine
- VPD Scholars Attend 2012 MRS Fall Meeting
ShihHan Lo and Changqiang Chen attend the 2012 MRS Fall Meeting
- VPD Undergrad Anticipates Future in Medicine and Academia
November 30, 2012
Felix Richter has worked in Professor Dravid's lab for over 3 years
- VPD Group Member Interns with Next Generation Materials in St. Louis
Daniel Charles works on carbon fiber composites during internship
- VPD Group Welcomes new Pre-Doctoral Research Fellow
Hsin-Wei Wu will focus on characterizing thermoelectric materials
- Changqiang Chen and Shih-han attended the 2012 EFRC All-Hands Meeting at Michigan State University
- VPD Group celebrates Annual Picnic 2012
- Alex Freedman acted as lighting designer and master electrician for ETOPiA's production of "The How and the Why" by Sarah Treem
Alex Freedman acted as lighting designer and master electrician for ETOPiA's (Engineering Transdisciplinary Outreach Project in the Arts) production of "The How and the Why" by Sarah Treem
- Alex Freedman participated in the "Finding Nano" program at TUM (Technische Universität München)
Alex Freedman participated in the "Finding Nano" program at TUM (Technische Universität München) in Munich
- Bin Liu has just defended his PhD thesis. Congratulations Bin!
- Prof. Vinayak Dravid and his staff at NUANCE have been awarded 2012 Outstanding Core Facility Award
Congratulations on this outstanding achievement!
- Prof. Dravid's Nature article got published. Congratulations Prof. Dravid!
- NUANCE Center Introduction Video
- Prof. Dravid and McCormick Dean Julio M. Ottino recently traveled to India
The photos and coverage of their visit is on McCormick web portal - http://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/news/articles/2012/09/india-collaborations.html
- Prof. Dravid visits Institute of Metal Research (Chinese Academy of Sciences) in Shenyang
- Aiming Yan presented a poster in the Inauguration of the NU-NIMS Center for Materials Innovation
- Stanley Chou returned from his visit to the Brinker lab at UNM/Sandia National Lab (SNL)
- HD2300 STEM has been moved to EPIC and QBIC’s shared Cryo-Bio-EM facility, located in Silverman Hall 0B540.
On Thursday, August 16th, the HD2300 STEM has been moved to EPIC and QBIC’s shared Cryo-Bio-EM facility, located in Silverman Hall 0B540.
- Felix Richter gave a presentation at Reserach Experience for Undergraduate Closing Symposium, August 15 2012
- Shraddha Avasthy delivered a talk at the 14th International Scanning Probe Microscopy Conference
- Jinsong Wu presented a poster in the M&M 2012 Meeting, held in Phoenix, AZ.
- VPD group attended Microscopy & Microanalysis 2012 Meeting held in Phoenix, AZ, July 29- August 2.
- Dan Charles is working for Boeing in the Next Generations Materials lab in St. Louis
- We celebrated Prof. Dravid's birthday with a surprise party!
- Nasim Alem, an alumnus of Material Science and Engineering, has accepted a faculty position...
- VPD Lab Meeting Presentation for the Summer 2012
- Prof. Dravid and Prof. Chad Mirkin visited India
- Vinayak Dravid creates materials to more efficiently harness electricity from heat-generating systems
- Congratulations Shraddha!
Shraddha Avasthy received the terminal year fellowship for one quarter.
- Governor Pat Quinn Visits NU for Innovation Economy Conference
Prof. Vinayak Dravid meets with Governor Quinn.
- This summer, Max Frantz will be working with Shihhan and Yi-kai
Summer of REU 2012
- Stanley S. Chou will conduct research at the laboratory of Prof. C. Jeff Brinker
Stanley S. Chou will conduct research at the laboratory of Prof. C. Jeff Brinker, Sandia National Laboratories as a part of Prof. Dravid’s NSF-CMMI project
- Bin Liu Receives Offer to Join Intel Corp.
Congratulations on your new job!
- The Weinberg Conference and Travel Grant will fund Felix's travels
The Weinberg Conference and Travel Grant will fund Felix's travels to the American Chemical Society 244th National Meeting
- Summer Wu, a senior at the Illinois Math and Science Academy, is working with Kirsten Viola
Summer of REU 2012: Summer Wu, a senior at the Illinois Math and Science Academy, is working with Kirsten Viola this summer....
- This summer Felix will be working with Mrinmoy!
Summer of REU 2012
- Shaleen Vasavada has been awarded a Weinberg Undergraduate Research Grant
Congratulations to Shaleen Vasavada!
- This summer, Dan Charles will be working for Boeing in the Next Generations Materials lab in St. Louis
- Prof. Dravid attended NIBIB's Inaugural Meeting
- Felix Richter has been awarded ...
Congratulations on your terrific presentation and both awards!
- VPD group bade farewell to Jiaqing
Wish you all the best in your future endeavours... He will be joining as a Principal investigator at the level of Professor, Nanostructures and Nano Energy Materials Group Leader and a TEM lab director at Frontier Institute of Science and Technology (FIST), Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU), China
- Congratulations Felix!
- Image Produced by NUANCE Electron Microscopy Specialist, Eric Roth, Published in Nature.
An image produced by NUANCE electron microscopy specialist, Eric Roth, was published in Nature.
- Aiming has got the Student Poster Award
- Undergraduates Alex Freedman and Daniel Charles will present posters at the 4th International Congress on Ceramics
- Congratulations Shraddha
Microscopy and Microanalysis 2012
Felix Richter has been selected to participate...
- Undergraduates Alex Freedman and Daniel Charles will present posters at the 4th International Congress
Undergraduates Alex Freedman and Daniel Charles have been individually selected
- Congratulations to Yi-Kai Huang!
Yi-Kai Huang has been selected for a MRSEC Fellowship
- Prof. Dravid met with the Brazil Higher Education Mission: Midwest Delegation.
- Shih-Han Lo and Yi-Kai Huang attended 2012 Winter School
- Jiaqing He and Shih-Han Lo attended Energy Frontier Research Center...
Jiaqing He and Shih-Han Lo attended Energy Frontier Research Center, Revolutionary Materials
- VPD Group & NUANCE Annual Picnic!
- Manish K. Jaiswal joined the group as a visiting scholar
Manish K. Jaiswal a graduate student from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay joined
- Stan Chou attended ACS meeting and presented talks!
Stan Chou attended ACS meeting and presented talks on two topics
- Yoshiki Yonamoto joined the group as a visiting scholar
Yoshiki Yonamoto from Hitachi
- Dr. Gina Mirela Mustata presented a talk
at the "IVth International Meeting on AFM in Life Sciences and Medicine",
- Professor Dravid hosted a contingent of faculty from Nanyang Technological University
- Drs. Jiaqing He, Jinsong Wu, and Shuyou Li joined Professor Dravid
at the International Workshop on Advanced Electron Microscopy and Applications in Materials Science
- Professor Vinayak Dravid was elected as........
- The Northwestern University CEMRI proposal .......
The Northwestern University CEMRI proposal was recommended for support over a six-year period
- Professor Vinayak Dravid Hosted Dr. Subi Jacob George, Dr. T. Govindaraju and Dr. Tapas Kumar Maji
- Marcel Grdinic, Callie DeMay and Leigha Ingham worked in our group
- Conner Dykstra, Felix Richter and Sara Styke started work in our group as an REU
- Professor Vinayak Dravid was elected to Faculty Honor Roll for Excellence in Teaching
Congratulations Prof. Vinayak Dravid
- Yi-Kai, Shih-Han, Aiming attended the 2011 APS/CNM/EMC User Meeting
Congratulations Yi-Kai, Shih-Han, Aiming!
- Bin was selected to Kellogg Summer Program 2011
PhD students selected into this program for 2011 summer
- Dr. Mrinmoy De and Dr. Datta Late presented posters at the Indo-US workshop at Northwestern University
- Luke Brewer Receives KJF Heinrich Award
Luke Brewer is the 2011 recipient for the KJF Heinrich Award from the Microanalysis Society
- Conner Dykstra was selected to participate in the Undergraduate Research Internship
- Dr. Dattatray Late from JNCASR, India joined as a Postdoctoral Fellow
Welcome Dr. Dattatray Late
- Good Labs versus Bad Labs……
- James Sbarboro Attending Grad School!
James Sbarboro will be attending the NU Graduate School of Weinberg this Fall for his Masters in Neurobiology and Physiology.
- Congratulations to Shih-Han Lo!
Shih-Han Receives a Nanoscale Science & Engineering Center (NSEC) Fellowship!
- VPD Group & NUANCE Annual Picnic
August 20th group members and family and friends gathered for the annual picnic.
- Felix Richter, a NU undergrad and CCNE REU...
REU Presentations at the Closing Symposium
- Gerik Zatorski, NSEC REU, Presents “Patterning Nanoscale Ferroic Oxides”
REU Presentations at the Closing Symposium
- NSEC REU, Jonathan Lin ...
REU Presentations at the Closing Symposium
- Picnic Snapshot of Jiaqing He and Family
- Sarah Stykes and Anisotropic Magnetic Nanostructure Research
REU Presentations at the Closing Symposium
- Kai Song and Family Attend the Annual Picnic!
- Kathy Ku, Former Group Intern, Summers in Uganda
- High School Summer Intern
Stefan Bulic, a Libertyville High School student, interned in our Atomic -Nanoscale Characterization Experimental (NUANCE) facility.
- Guest Speaker, Dr. Swapan Pati
Dr. Pati presents "Structures and Electronic Properties of DNA Systems."
- Alumnus Elizabeth Dickey to become Texas Tech Dean!
She will become dean of the Edward E. Whiticare Jr. College of Engineering on Jan. 1, 2011.
- 2009 REU Chris Ojeda Update ... ...
I finished my junior year and am a NanoBio REU at Johns Hopkins for the summer. My project works on gold nanoparticles for drug delivery and using a novel compound to stabilize them and improve their functionality.
- Priyanka Sharma Finally Arrives!
Priyanka is a visiting predoctoral fellow from the Institute for Microbial Technology (IMTECH), India.
- Gilberto Visits from University of Texas at San Antonio
First year Ph.D. student in Physics, J Gilberto Casillas-Garcia, joined our group under the Partnership for Research & Education of Materials (PREM)
- Soo-Hyun Tark Graduates with his Ph.D. in Materials Science & Engineering !
He is continuing his research as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the VPD Group
- How Small Can You Go?
This presentation, given by Dan Herr, Director of Nanomanufacturing at the Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) was well attended.
- Welcome Suguna Narayan!
Suguna is joining our group over the summer
- Research Assistant Professor Title for Dr Jiaqing He!
Dr. He becomes a Research Assistant Professor in the Chemistry Department after a unanimous vote!
- Our Former High School Intern ... ...
Kathy Ku's first year at Harvard sure has been a busy one!
- IUSSTF Award Visiting Scholars
A warm welcome to the first students arriving for collaborative NU-JNCASR research.
- Kai Song's Newest Arrival!
Kai Song, Ph.D.and Research Associate, is the proud father of William Song
- Felix Richter Selected for the CCNE REU Summer Program!
Only 4 undergraduates are selected each summer for the NSF-sponsored Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. Congratulations!
- Dr. S. Sivaram, Director of National Chemical Laboratory!
Dr. S. Sivaram is a polymer chemist, mentor and science manager of distinction.
- Welcome to Aditya Sood!
He joins our group as a visiting predoctoral fellow from IIT Kanpur, India
- Shraddha attended the CMOS Emerging Technologies Conference
Shraddha Avasthy (graduate student) attended the CMOS Emerging Technologies Conference
- Shraddha attended PSOC Atomic Force Microscopy Workshop
Shraddha Avasthy (graduate student) attended the 'PSOC Atomic Force Microscopy Workshop' at Arizona State University
- We'll Miss You, Vera!
Vera returned to Singapore after working within our group for over a year.
- Materials Research Society Fellow!
Vinayak Dravid was named fellow of the Materials Research Society at the Spring Meeting in San Francisco.
- Another DHS Award Extension! Congratulations Again!
Stan (Shihyao Chou), a participant in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Scholarship and Fellowship Program, has been granted another extension of his DHS award through the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Voted Favorite Professor Again!
Students voted for their favorite faculty members as part of balloting for ASG's
- Welcome Dhwanil Damania!
Dhwanil, a Ph.D. student in Biomedical Engineering, joins our group members in collaborative research for the NU PS-OC (Physical Sciences-Onocology Center) grant.
- Dr. Shekhawat wins $50,000 Veeco Labs Energy Innovation Grant Award!
The $50,000 award will purchase the most powerful AFM ever built by Veeco
- Our Collaborative IUSSTF Award supports Indo-US Joint Research between JNCASR Bangalore and Northwestern University.
Professor Narayan visits from JNCASR!
- A Life-Long Learner! Professor Dravid never stops Learning... ...
Vinayak successfully completed The Kellogg Center for Biotechnology Management certificate program: "Management Skills for Innovative University Leaders."
- Suresh Donthu, a former VPD Group member, research associate and PhD graduate, stops by to say Hello!
Dr. Donthu is currently with Exponent Consulting in Maryland where he uses his expertise in materials science and metallurgical engineering to conduct failure analysis investigations of engineering systems.
- "Snowflake" to be Displayed in Cohen Commons
Optical microscopy image of snowflake from the fractal gelation of complex sol including the precursors for Barium titanate and Cobalt ferrite. Courtesy of Professor Dravid.
- Bin Liu Accepts Argonne National Laboratory's Guest Graduate Appointment!
Bin will be associated with Dr. Seungbum Hong of the Materials Science Division as part of Argonne's educational program extended to graduate students.
- Tao Sun Receives PhD and Joins Argonne National Laboratory!
A recent PhD group graduate, Tao Sun, joins Argonne National Laboratory
- Dr. Mustata Wins 2nd Place Poster Award at Berlin Symposium!
At the SPM & OPTICAL TWEEZERS Symposium – in Berlin - Mirela Mustata receives the 2nd place SPM poster award for her poster presentation.
- Global McCormick Coordinator Hosts Hamburg Delegation!
Professor Dravid welcomed Onno Huckmann, the Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Senator Axel Gedaschko, from the State Ministry for Economic and Labour Affairs of Hamburg
- Another PhD Graduate!
After successfully defending his thesis in November Soo-Hyun Tark graduates in December.
- Mengchun Pan Conference Presentation!
At the 2009 Materials Science and Technology conference in Pittsburgh, PA, Mengchun presented "Effect of deposition temperature on surface morphology and magnetic properties in epitaxial CoFe2O4 thin films deposited by MOCVD"
- Bin Liu's MRSEC equipment proposal was awarded!
The Radiant Technologies Precision Premier II 100v Ferroelectric test system is being added to the VPD Group Lab!
- Prasad Kelkar Leaves for Cornell Temporarily!
VPD Group Research Associate, Prasad Kelkar, temporarily moves to Ithaca, New York.
- Shih-Han Lo receives a 2009- 2010 NSEC Fellowship!
The Nanoscale Science & Engineering Center for Integrated Nanopatterning and Detection Technologies provides graduate student fellowships each year to talented students!
- Felix Richter, 2013 Intern Undergraduate
Felix's area of interest is nanostructure synthesis and their analysis in biological systems.
- Undergrad Katie Jaycox Interns with VPD Group!
Katie will be working part time at the NUANCE Center assisting the Art Institute with particle size analysis and learning the ins and outs of electron microscopy.
- Arvind Srvistrava joins Nanosonix as Principal Scientist!
We'll miss Arvind but luckily he will be visiting periodically to use our instruments in our NUANCE Center!
- A Surprise Birthday Celebration for Our "Ageless" Professor... ... ... Happy Birthday!
- Ben Ties the Knot!
Dorota Rozkiewicz, PhD, IBNAM Research Professor and Ben Myers, EPIC Facility Manager got married on August 21st!
- VPD Group Picnic - A Farewell to Summer and REU's
VPD Group Picnic - A Farewell to Summer and REU's
- Dr. Fengwei Huo Presents "Polymer Pen Lithography" at Nanopatterning Subgroup Meeting
At the Nanopatterning subgroup meeting on August 3rd, Dr. Fengwei Huo, from Professor Mirkin's group (NU) gave a talk, entitled "Polymer Pen Lithography".
- Soo-HyunTark receives the NSEC 2009 Outstanding Researcher Award!
The Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center (NSEC) for Integrated Nanopatterning and Detection Technologies selects students and postdoctoral associates who have made exceptional contributions over the past year.
- $3,000 is Awarded to Stan Gutionov !
Not only is Stan accepted into the CCNE REU program but wins the Weinberg College Summer 2009 Research Grant to fund his project,
- Mrinmoy De becomes our Laboratory Manager!
Since joining the VPD group he has demonstrated the skills necessary to organize, implement and maintain our laboratory.
- Another Future VPD Group Member?
Stan Chou's family celebrated the addition of Elisa on July 24th at 9:03pm.
- Yoshio Bando Visits!
Chief Operating Officer of International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics, Fellow of the Institute for Materials Science, and Visiting Professor at the University of Tokyo and Waseda University, Dr. Bando visited and gave a talk on "In-Situ Transport Measurements of Novel Nanotubes under TEM."
- Summer of 2009 REU's
As pictured left to right:
- Siddarth Shah returns to IITB
As a visiting predoctoral scholar, Siddarth worked in the field of Nanoparticles synthesis and their surface functionalization.
- Mohammed Aslam Returns to Visit for Just a Bit More Research!
This summer he returned for just a bit more research, as a faculty sabbatical fellow.
- Tao Sun Graduates !
Dr. Tao Sun graduates in Cook Hall.
- Seungbum Hong presents "Piezoelectric Force Microscopy"
A materials scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory, he received the Young Investigator Outstanding Achievement Award
- Ben Murphy Walks the Walk!
Ben received his Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and remains a member of the VPD Group.
- She had how many Acceptance Letters? 8!
Kathy Ku, the VPD Group internship student from Maine Township High School East, finally decided! She plans to attend Harvard this fall.
- Argonne National Laboratory Scientist Visits!
Dr. Bernd Kabius, a materials scientist, spoke to the VPD Group about the "Aberration Corrected Microscope."
- "Excellent Oral Presentations"
Shraddha Avasthy and Arvind Srivastava presented at the GRC Nanolithography Review held at the University of Wisconsin.
- Prad Prabhumirashi Returns to Visit!
A 2006 graduate, Dr. Prabhumirashi stopped by to visit the VPD Group.
- Another Ph.D. Produced from the VPD Group!
Congratulations to Tao for his successful defense for his PhD thesis
- He Does It Again! Congratulations, Stan!
Shihyao Chou, a participant in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Scholarship and Fellowship Program, has been awarded an extension of the Department of Homeland Security award
- Spring Cleaning in the Student Office!
Perhaps not the break from studies and research everyone would have liked but great satisfaction of a job well done!
- Dr. Robert F. Klie's visit
Dr. Robert F. Klie, Nanoscale Physics Group, University of Illinois at Chicago speaks on the"Atomic-Scale Studies of Complex Oxide Interfaces using Aberration Corrected Z-Contrast Imaging and EELS."
- Professor Dravid Elected FELLOW of the Microscopy Society of America
Professor Dravid elected fellow of the Microscopy Society of America
- Congratulations to Jonathan!
Congratulations Jonathan on being one of the 15 students to be selected for the CCNE REU summer program.
- National Science Foundation Visitors
The Program Director of the Office of International Science and Engineering, John Tongas, and Shireen Yousef, visited to discuss the NSF Global Initiatives Program.
- Bin, Mengchun, and Aiming won scholarship to attend CHREM Winter School at ASU
Bin Liu, Mengchun Pan and Aiming Yan won scholarships to attend CHREM Winter School at Arizona State University!
- "Nanotechnology a Decade Later: Perspective and Prospects"
Professor Dravid presented keynote lecture at the 12th annual SANKEN symposium in Osaka, Japan.
- "Science, Technology, Education and Policy (STEP): In the Right Direction for Energy and Sustainability"
Professor Dravid participates as an International Speaker at the Vibrant Gujarat Summit in Science City, Ahmedabad, India.
- "Softer" side of VPD Group Moving to Silverman Hall!
The Richard and Barbara Silverman Hall for Molecular Therapeutics will will be home to more than a dozen research groups as well as several shared core facilities for the imaging and manipulation of biological molecules.
- Michael Radler, Ph.D.
Scientist at Dow Chemical Company, Visits the VPD Group for recruiting and collaborative discussions.
- Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry Visits!
Dr. Robert H. Grubbs, winner of the 2005 Nobel Prize in Chemistry visited campus.
- Visitors from China!
The VPD Group welcomed a group of professors and executives affiliated with Jinan University
- Welcome New Group Members!!
We would like to welcome our three New Graduate students to the VPD group.
- Reliance Industries Limited
Arun Aneja, Ph.D., Chief Science & Technology Officer at Reliance Industries, Ltd., INDIA visits!
- Congratulations Tao!!
Tao Sun was recently selected to receive the NSEC Outstanding Researcher award.
- KECK Foundation Supports Development of a Unique STEM:
The W.M. Keck Foundation has approved a compelling proposal, Inorganic Signature of Life (ISL), by Tom O'Halloran, Teresa Woodruff and Vinayak P. Dravid, to understand the role of inorganic signal pathway (esp. Zn) during the earliest time of "life", i.e., the fertilization of female egg
- Dr. Jiaqing He joins the VPD group!
Dr. Jiaqing He joins the VPD group as a research associate. Jiaqing comes to NU from Brookhaven National Lab.
- Another award for the VPD Group!!!
Ann Snyder won the McCormick STAR award for outstanding service.
- Baby Boom in the VPD Group!!
Soo Hyun and his wife Emily welcomed Brandon, a healthy boy born on July 31, 2008.
- VPD group welcomes the class of summer 2008 REUs!
Pictured: Top row: Vinayak Dravid, Siddartha Shah (IIT Bombay), Stan Gutiontov, Jonathan Lin Bottom row: Rajeev Khattar (UIUC),Sok Yee Yew (NTU Singapore), Sara Rothwell (Carleton College), Saranya Sathananthan (UT Knoxville), Not pictured: Ankit Gupta (UIUC) and Nishima Wangoo (IMTECH India)
- 2008 Graduation of VPD Group Members
We had quite a few graduates this year!
- Prof. CNR Rao receives an honorary degree from Northwestern University
Professor C.N.R. Rao, president of JNCASR, Bangalore, India, received an honorary degree from NU at the commencement ceremony on June 20, 2008.
- Congratulations Tao!!!
1st place: Tao Sun won first place at the International Materials Research Conference in Chongqing, China held June 9-12, 2008.
- RF Installation completed!
After many trials and tribulations, the RF system has finally been installed in VPD lab. This unique capability will allow non-invasive thermal activation for multitude of our research programs, from Alzheimer's therapy to killing of pediatric brain tumor (targeted thermal activation!).
- The "boss" wins the Fulrath Award
Professor Dravid has won yet another award! This time the "Richard M. Fulrath" Award from the American Ceramics Society, for enhancing US-Japan bilateral scientific interactions.
- Congratulations Sam!!!
After couple years of research internship in VPD group, Sam Nayak secured admission a number of institutions such as Stanford and CalTech/UCSD.
- Goodbye Muto-san!!
Atsushi Muto, visiting engineer from Hitachi High Technologies America completed his visit here at Northwestern and the NUANCE Center.
- Congratulations Ambrose and Ken!!!
Ambrose was accepted to the Statistics graduate program at Harvard University and Ken was accepted to the PhD program in Materials Science and Engineering at Northwestern University.
- Zixiao and Tao's Images were chosen to be showcased in McCormick materials and on the NSF image of the day!!!
Zixiao and Tao were asked by the McCormick marketing department to provide images of their work from the SEM and from the FIB.
- Stan Chou wins the Homeland Security Fellowship!!
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has selected Stan to receive the coveted U.S. Department of Homeland Security Fellowship.
- Ben Murphy Joines the VPD group!
Ben Murphy a BS/MS student in Mechanical Engineering has joined the VPD group to work with Stan Chou on MOSFET sensors.
- Congratulations Zixiao!!!
Zixiao has defended her PhD thesis and will be leaving us for the warmer climes of the Bay Area.
- Hello Sujing!!
Sujing has started working as a TEM postdoc with the EPIC facility of the NUANCE center.
- New acquisition at NIFTI/NUANCE: Veeco Bioscope-II
We have purchased with the help of NSEC and State of Illinois funds a Veeco bioscope.
- Arvind has a new addition to his family!!!
Congratulations to Arvind - VPD group Senior Research Associate on the birth of his son Tanav (wt. 7.5lb, 20inches) at 11.52pm on 26th of Jan.
- Tao is officially a "GEMS"!
Tao Sun has been awarded one of only three "Graduate Excellence in Materials Science (GEMS)" Diamond awards by the Basic Science Division of the American Ceramic Society.
- Citation Recognition for Aslam's paper!
Aslam's article is on the most cited list in Crystal Growth and Design from January – March 2007.
- "Lotus in Pond" selected as a finalist in "Science as Art": 2007 MRS Fall Meeting
Aslam, Zixiao and Shuyou worked together to obtain an image of zinc oxide using an ESEM. The petals are ZnO single crystal clusters nucleated and grown from lithography-defined seeded ZnO areas, by means of a room temperature chemical process.
- Good bye Dr. Aslam and Best Wishes Professor Aslam!!
Dr. Aslam and his family left the US for India after the postdoctoral stint at VPD group.
- Welcome Dr. Hrushikesh Joshi!!
Suresh defended in November and left Evanston for the Washington DC belt-way area to make trouble at Exponent Technical Consulting.
- Welcome Dr. Hrushikesh Joshi!!
Dr. Hrushikesh Joshi arrived in December 2007 as our new post doc.
- Welcome new members of the VPD group!!
We would like to welcome our five new graduate students to the VPD group.
- Visitors to the VPD group
Dr. RA Mashlekar, former director of CSIR, India, and a celebrated scientist/manager of Indian science and technology, visited Northwestern in November 2007.
- Reliance visitors to NUANCE and VPD:
High ranking officials from Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), India, visited VPD and the NUANCE center, to discuss innovation in nanotechnology and models for characterization centers.
- Congratulations Rachel and Ambrose!!
Rachel Frey completed her senior thesis and graduated in December. Ambrose Lin has completed his senior thesis and is working with the VPD group for the next two quarters before he is on his way to graduate school.
- Congratulations Sam, on Intel Talent Recognition!!
Sam Nayak, our high school intern, was declared a semifinalist in the Intel Science Talent Search. Well done!!
- FIVE New Research Projects Funded!
VPD group has achieved 100% batting average with 5 out of 5 recent major research proposals funded! These will help to boost our fall 2007 recruiting needs, substantiate our industrial collaborations, enhance our international outreach and uplift our research initiatives in constrained nano-bio structures and microscopy.
- Welcome Mr. Muto!
Atsushi Muto from Hitachi High Technology America will be working with the VPD group and the NUANCE Center to enlighten us with innovative SEM techniques.
- Welcome Kanhu Barick!
Kanhu Chanan Barick, a graduate student from the Indian Institute for Technology Bombay (IITB) Mumbai is working with the VPD group for the next three months.
- Cover Art!
NSEC REU Jesse Hall's paper from the work he did with Zixiao Pan was featured on the cover of the latest edition of Nanoscape.
- Suresh earns another distinction!
Suresh is one of the five students chosen for the top-level named graduate student awards to be presented at the 2007 AVS International Conference, Seattle, Washington.
- Outstanding Researcher Award to Arvind!
Arvind (second from right) won the coveted and competitive NSEC distinguished researcher award
- Congratulations Professor Aslam!!!
Aslam was recently hired as an Assistant Professor in the department of Physics at the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) Mumbai.
- VPD to represent US delegation to South Africa
Professor Dravid will represent the US delegation at the joint meeting between University of Zululand and the International Center for Materials Research (ICMR), in July 2007.
- A "Bundle of Joy" delivered to the Aslam Family!!
A beautiful baby girl - Ameena born on July 25, 2007 9:15 AM (July 2007) 20 inches 6 lbs 7 oz.
- Tao Sun presented at ACA 2007 annual meeting in Salt Lake City
Presentation topic: In situ real-time investigation of kinetics of nucleation and growth of sol-gel derived functional oxide thin films
- VPD to serve on "nanotechnology" panel at pan-IIT 2007 Global Meeting
Professor Dravid has been invited to serve on a special panel - Nanotechnology Beyond the Moore's Law - at the pan-IIT 2007 Global Conference to be held in Santa Clara, CA, July 2007.
- Welcome Zixiao's mom!!!
Zixiao's mom visited NU and her daughter and was given a top-quality NUANCE lab tour this June from the boss himself.
- More sleepless nights at Argonne!!!
Tao and Zixiao's application for beamtime was approved by DOE. GISAXS experiment will be performed at 8-ID-E beamline of Advanced Photon Source in Argonne National Laboratory.
- Welcome REU Students!!!!
As part of NSEC and MRSEC, we have the opportunity to host undergraduate students from around the country to learn more about our research and contribute in our lab. We have five students with us this summer.
- Nasim Alem graduates with a PhD!
Nasim successfully defended her PhD in January 2007.
- Soo-Hyun Wins CNM Student Poster Prize!
Soo-Hyun Tark of Northwestern University captured the Student Poster Award at the CNM Users Meeting
- VPD to present on "Academic Day" at Children's Memorial Hospital and Research Center
VPD will present our group's nano-biomedical research on the "Academic Day" event at CMH and CMRC on April 6, 2007.
- Office for Research CenterPiece Live scheduled for May 7, 2007
A new initiative by NU's office for research (OR) will have an inaugural event called CenterPiece Live
- Congratulations Suresh!
Suresh won the Graduate Student Silver Award at MRS Spring 2007
- First Place! Blue Ribbon!
Suresh Donthu won first place in the "Science as Art" competition
- Beamtime Approved at Advanced Photon Source, ANL
Tao and Zixiao's application for beamtime was approved by DOE. X-ray nanodiffraction experiment will be performed at 2-ID-D beamline of Advanced Photon Source in Argonne National Laboratory.
- Suresh and Zixiao win top award!
Suresh Donthu and Zixiao Pan presented a poster related to VPD group technology development, which received the first place at the Applied Research Day organized by InNUvation
- Group collaborator Professor Jinwoo Cheon to visit NU and CCNE
VPD group's CCNE collaborator, Professor Jinwoo Cheon will visit NU and deliver a seminar on February 12, 2007.
- VPD to represent US at the US-India forum workshop in New Delhi, India
VPD will represent the US delegation at the US-India forum on Nanostructures
- Vinayak P. Dravid - Invited Waters Annual Symposium Speaker
Professor Dravid was invited to give a talk at the Eighteenth James L. Waters Annual Symposium "Scanning Probe Microscopies — STM, AFM, SNFUH" at the PITTCON 2007 conference at McCormick Place in Chicago, Illinois.
- Nanofabrication facility at ANL
Zixiao and Tao's application for nanofabrication facility was approved by Center for Nanoscale Materials in Argonne National Laboratory.
- Everly Fellowship
Zixiao also won the Everly Fellowship (Terminal Year Fellowship), Northwestern University
- Silver Award winner
Zixiao is a Graduate Student Silver Award winner at the Materials Research Society
- Another outstanding award for the VPD group!!
Suresh has won the 2006 IEEE Sensors Council President's award
- Professor Dravid represents Northwestern in South Korea
Professor Dravid was one of a handful of US representatives at the opening of the Yonsei University's Center for Nano-Bio Structures in October 2006
- VPD to present invited talk at SPM workshop, Purdue University, IN
Professor Dravid has been invited to participate in the Purdue Birck Nanotechnology Center workshop on SPM.
- VPD to present invited talk at Intel Corporation, Oregon
Professor Dravid will deliver an invited talk at the famed Intel Corporation's R&D center in Hillsboro, Oregon, related to Ultrasound Holography. Anchored by an unrestricted gift of $100,000 by Intel, we have developing the innovative non-destructive imaging technique based on ultrasound holography. He will also meet several of our VPD group alumni who are at this Intel site, including: Xiwei Lin, Kevin Johnson, Nazir Poonawala and Weida Qin.
- Zixiao won Roland B. Snow Award
Zixiao won Roland B. Snow Award, the American Ceramic Society annual conference, 2006!
- VPD appointed as the "Global Czar" for McCormick international collaborative initiatives
Professor Dravid has been appointed as the coordinator for McCormick global engagement initiatives and serves as an advisor to Dean Julio Ottino on all matters related to McCormick's international collaborative initiatives, spanning UG and graduate education, outreach and research activities.
- NU-McC and IIT Bombay MoU Signing Ceremony
Professor Dravid will serve as the MC at the MoU signing ceremony between NU McCormick and IIT Bombay, in September 2006.
- VPD to represent US delegation at Nano-2006, Bangalore, India
Professor Dravid will represent the US contingent at the Nano-2006 global conference in Bangalore, India, Aug. 21-24, 2006.