Vinayak Dravid, Ph.D.
Professor, Materials Science & Engineering
Director, NUANCE Center
Northwestern University 2220 Campus Drive
1131 Cook Hall
Evanston, IL 60208-3108
Phone: (847) 467-1363
Facsimile: (847) 467-6573
Mary Pat Doyle
Summary Bio-Sketch (Click for extended CV)
Vinayak P. Dravid is the Northwestern University President Abraham Harris Chaired Professor of Materials Science & Engineering in the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. He is the director of Global McCormick Initiative which provides strategic and operational support in sustainable global research and educational initiatives. Professor Dravid is the founding director of NUANCE, an award-winning microscopy and surface science research facility used annually by hundreds of researchers from across myriad scientific fields.
Professor Dravid received his Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) in Metallurgical Engineering in 1984 from IIT Bombay, India. Immediately following receipt of his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from Lehigh University, Dravid joined the Northwestern faculty in 1990. Professor Dravid serves as a member or an executive officer at several world-renowned NU research centers, including: International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN), Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center (NSEC), Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC), Center of Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence (CCNE), Center for Catalysis and Surface Science (CCSS), Institute for Catalysis and Surface Science (IECP), Chemistry of Life Processes Institute (CLP) and the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center (RHLCCC).
Professor Dravid’s scholarly interests are at the intersection of materials science with physics, chemistry, biology and engineering with implications for electronics, energy, environmental science and biomedicine. He has a diverse research portfolio encompassing advanced microscopy, nanotechnology, technology strategy, energy policy and emerging educational paradigms. He has authored over three hundred archival journal publications and book chapters, and he holds dozens of issued/pending patents. Many of his patents are licensed to start-up companies in nanotechnology, sensor/diagnostic systems. He is a co-founder of and closely affiliated with several high-tech stage start-ups related to his IP portfolio in nano-metrology, nanopatterning and bio-chem sensing.
As the director of Global McCormick, Professor Dravid has helped launch many global research and educational initiatives across Asia (e.g., India, Singapore), Europe (e.g., United Kingdom, Germany), Africa (e.g., Egypt, South Africa) and South America (e.g., Brazil, Argentina), among others.
Professor Dravid has served as consultant and advisor to metrology, bio-chem companies, IP firms, the Art Institute of Chicago and Museum of Science and Industry Chicago, among others. He advises NGOs, professional societies outreach programs, international organizations and the private sector about science, technology and policy.
He is an avid follower of Chess and enjoys following GM tournaments online (or in-person!) whenever possible. One of his passions is to enhance the societal and global appreciation for science and technology, through the beauty, complexity and elegance of microscopy & analysis.
Research, Teaching and Outreach Awards:
- NSF Young Investigator Award (1991-6)
- Exxon Foundation Fellowship (1992-)
- IBM Faculty Development Award (1994-)
- 1996 Burton Medal, Microscopy Society of America (MSA)
- 1998 R.L. Coble Award from the American Ceramic Society (ACerS)
- Kurt Heinrich Award from the Microbeam Analysis Society (1999)
- Distinguished Alumni Service Award, IIT Bombay, India (2001)
- ASM-IIM Visiting Faculty Fellow (2001)
- NIH Sabbatical Faculty Fellow (2001-2)
- Teacher of the Year (2001-2)
- Elected Fellow: American Ceramic Society (2003)
- First McCormick Faculty Excellence Award (2006)
- 6th McBain Memorial Award, NCL, India (2007)
- Richard M. Fulrath Award (2008)
- Inauguration Class of Fellows: (MSA) Microscopy Society of America (2009)
- Election to NU Faculty Honor Roll by voting UG students (2008-2009)
- Election to NU Faculty Honor Roll by voting UG students (2009-2010)
- Elected Fellow: Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Elected Fellow: American Assoc. for Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2010)
- Elected Honorary Member: Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) (2011)
- IIT Bombay Distinguished Alumnus Award (2012)
- Lee Hsun Research Fellowship: Chinese Academy of Sciences (2012)
Representative Scientific, Professional and Outreach Leadership (past & present):
- Editor (Materials Science), Microscopy and Microanalysis (Flagship journal of the Microscopy Society of America- MSA)
- Principal Editor, Journal of Materials Research (Flagship journal of the Materials Research Society- MRS)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Microscopy (Royal Microscopical Society,UK)
- Reviewer/panelist for: NSF, DOE and DOD
- Reviewer/Editor of special issues: APL, PRL, JACerS, Nature, Science, Acta Mater., JMR, JECS, Nano Letters, among many others.
- Professional memberships: ACerS, MRS, MSA, MAS, APS, ACS, AAAS, IEEE, ASME, ASEE, ASM/TMS
- Founding member: International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN)
- Board of Directors: IIT Bombay Heritage Fund (US alumni association for IITB)
- Founding member: Faculty Academic Network (FAN)
- Board Member: NanoInk Scientific Advisory Board
- Board of Directors: Joint Research Center between Nile University, Egypt and Northwestern
- International Advisory Committee: Global Indian Scientists and Technocrats Convention (GIST)
- Co-Founder, Board Member and Chair Scientific Advisory Committe: NanoSonix, Inc., a hi-tech start-up
- Co-Organizer: Conference on Advanced Materials (ICAM), Brazil
- Corporate & International Outreach/Entrepreneurial Activities Committee: Chemistry of Life Processes Institute (CLP) NU