Materials Science and Engineering
Room: 1141, Cook Hall
2220 Campus Drive
Evanston IL, 60208-3108
Phone:(847) 491-7798 (L)
|2008-2014||Northwestern University, Ph.D, Materials Science and Engineering|
|2004-2008||National Tsing-Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan B.S., Materials Science and Engineering|
Research Objectives and Approach
Thermoelectric is a rejuvenated field of research due to increasing demands of clean and renewable energy. Many researchers devote themselves to develop new materials to have higher efficiency of heat-electric transformation and one important parameter to have higher figure of merit (ZT) is lattice thermal conductivity. Understanding the nanostructuring effect on lattice thermal conductivity is the focus of my research. Characterization of the nanostructures is the first and and most important step of the study. To be more specific, by utilizing S/TEM, understating the phonon scattering affected by nanostructures such as nanoprecipitates, dislocation, strain, boundaries and so on is the key point we want to address. To do all these analyses, high quality HRTEM images are required to characterize the structure and boundaries. For example, strain analysis using geometric phase analysis (GPA) technique highly depends on the quality of HRTEM image.
Honors and Awards
- 2010 Nanoscale Science & Engineering Center (NSEC) Fellowship for Outstanding Graduate Student Researchers
- 2009 Nanoscale Science & Engineering Center (NSEC) Fellowship for Outstanding Graduate Student Researchers
- Scholarship to 2012 Winter School on High Resolution Electron Microscopy at Arizona State University
- 2012 Taiwan Studying Abroad Scholarship
- Li-Dong Zhao*, Shih-Han Lo*, Yongsheng Zhang, Hui Sun, Gangjian Tan, Ctirad Uher, C. Wolverton, Vinayak P. Dravid, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, Ultralow thermal conductivity and high thermoelectric figure of merit in SnSe crystals. Nature 508, 373-377 (2014)
- Yeseul Lee, Shih-Han Lo, Changqiang Chen, Hui Sun, Duck-Young Chung, Thomas C. Chasapis, Ctirad Uher, Vinayak P. Dravid, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, Contrasting role of antimony and bismuth dopants on the thermoelectric performance of lead selenide. Nature communications 5, 3640-3640 (2014)
- Gangjian Tan, Li-Dong Zhao, Fengyuan Shi, Jeff W. Doak, Shih-Han Lo, Hui Sun, Chris Wolverton, Vinayak P. Dravid, Ctirad Uher, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, High Thermoelectric Performance of p-Type SnTe via a Synergistic Band Engineering and Nanostructuring Approach. Journal of the American Chemical Society 136, 7006-7017 (2014)
- Rachel J. Korkosz, Thomas C. Chasapis, Shih-han Lo, Jeff W. Doak, Yoon Jun Kim, Chun- I. Wu, Euripidis Hatzikraniotis, Timothy P. Hogan, David N. Seidman, Chris Wolverton, Vinayak P. Dravid, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, High ZT in p-Type (PbTe)(1-2x)(PbSe)(x)(PbS)(x) Thermoelectric Materials. Journal of the American Chemical Society 136, 3225-3237 (2014)
Y. Lee*, S.-H. Lo*, J. Androulakis, C.-I. Wu, L.-D. Zhao, D.-Y. Chung, T. P. Hogan, V. P. Dravid, and M. G. Kanatzidis, “High-Performance Tellurium-Free Thermoelectrics: All-Scale Hierarchical Structuring of p-Type PbSe–MSe Systems (M = Ca, Sr, Ba),” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 135, no. 13, pp. 5152–5160, Apr. 2013.
- Li-Dong Zhao, Shiqiang Hao, Shih-Han Lo, Chun- I. Wu, Xiaoyuan Zhou, Yeseul Lee, Hao Li, Kanishka Biswas, Timothy P. Hogan, Ctirad Uher, C. Wolverton, Vinayak P. Dravid, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, High Thermoelectric Performance via Hierarchical Compositionally Alloyed Nanostructures. Journal of the American Chemical Society 135, 7364-7370 (2013)
S.-H. Lo, J. He, K. Biswas, M. G. Kanatzidis, and V. P. Dravid, “Phonon Scattering and Thermal Conductivity in p-Type Nanostructured PbTe-BaTe Bulk Thermoelectric Materials,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol.22, pp.5175-5184, 2012.
M. Ohta, K. Biswas, S.-H. Lo, J. He, D. Y. Chung, V. P. Dravid, and M. G. Kanatzidis, “Enhancement of Thermoelectric Figure of Merit by the Insertion of MgTe Nanostructures in p-type PbTe Doped with Na2Te,” Advanced Energy Materials, vol.2, pp.1117-1123, 2012.
K. Biswas, J. He, G. Wang, S.-H. Lo, C. Uher, V. P. Dravid, and M. G. Kanatzidis, “High thermoelectric figure of merit in nanostructured p-type PbTe–MTe (M = Ca, Ba),” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 4, pp. 4675–4684, Oct. 2011.
L.-D. Zhao, S.-H. Lo, J. He, H. Li, K. Biswas, J. Androulakis, C.-I. Wu, T. P. Hogan, D.-Y. Chung, V. P. Dravid, and M. G. Kanatzidis, “High Performance Thermoelectrics from Earth-Abundant Materials: Enhanced Figure of Merit in PbS by Second Phase Nanostructures,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., vol. 133, no. 50, pp. 20476–20487, 2011.
J. Wu, S. Lo, K. Song, B. K. Vijayan, W. Li, K. A. Gray, and V. P. Dravid, “Growth of Rutile TiO2 Nanorods on Anatase TiO2 Thin Films on Si-Based Substrates,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 1646–1652, 2011.
Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program Writing Workshop, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA; Summer 2009.
MSU/DOE Energy Frontier Research Center, Revolutionary Materials for Solid State Energy Conversion All-Hands Meeting, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA; Oct. 28, 2011.
2012 Winter School on High Resolution Electron Microscopy at Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA; Jan. 4-7, 2012