Michael Ambrogio, Ph.D.
Research Associate, Keck-II Facility
Cook Hall, Room 1161
2220 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208-3108
Phone: (847) 491-6774
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL (May 2012)
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, with focus on nanotechnology
Miami University, Oxford, OH (May 2007)
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Research Associate, VPD Group (2012-present)
- Currently employed by the NUANCE Center (Keck-II Facility) at Northwestern University
- Perform maintenance and train new users on five separate instruments within the Keck-II Facility
- Expert on the use, operation, and processing / interpretation of data from XPS and ToF-SIMS
- Designed new analytical methods to fully characterize nanoparticle-based drug delivery systems
Graduate Student Researcher/Postdoctoral Fellow, Stoddart Group (2007-2012)
- Developed drug delivery systems to selectively release drugs / imaging agents in biological tissue
- Synthesized various mesoporous silica nanoparticles and an array of organic compounds
- Collaborated with researchers at UCLA, Notre Dame, NU Feinberg School of Medicine
- Responsible for function / maintenance of peptide synthesizer and centrifuge in Stoddart lab
- Reviewed 12 separate manuscripts for acceptance in peer-review scientific journals
- Produced 2 grant applications that were approved for funding:
- $930,000 from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) in Saudi Arabia
- $52,500 from the NU Center of Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence (NU-CCNE)
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- drug delivery systems
Ambrogio, M. W.; Frasconi, M.; Yilmaz, M. D.; Chen, X. “New Methods for Improved Characterization of Silica Nanoparticle-Based Drug Delivery Systems” Manuscript in preparation, 2013.
Wang, C.; Li, Z.; Cao, D.; Zhao, Y.-L.; Gaines, J. W.; Bozdemir, O. A.; Ambrogio, M. W.; Frasconi, M.; Botros, Y. Y.; Zink, J. I.; Stoddart, J. F. “Stimulated Release of Size-Selected Cargos in Succession from Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 5460–5465.
Ambrogio, M. W.; Thomas, C. R.; Zhao, Y.-L.; Zink, J. I.; Stoddart, J. F. “Mechanized Silica Nanoparticles: A New Frontier in Theranostic Nanomedicine” Acc. Chem. Res. 2011, 44, 903–913.
Ambrogio, M. W.; Pecorelli, T. A.; Patel, K.; Khashab, N. M.; Trabolsi, A.; Khatib, H. A.; Botros, Y. Y.; Zink, J. I.; Stoddart, J. F. “Snap-Top Nanocarriers” Org. Lett. 2010, 12, 3304–3307.
Mechanized Silica Nanoparticles: A New Frontier in Theranostic Nanomedicine
- Presented at 6th ISMSC in Brighton, UK, July 2011
Controlled Release from Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles
- Presented at 8th FNANO Meeting in Snowbird, UT, April 2011.
- Presented at the 239th ACS National Meeting in San Francisco, CA, March 2010.